What To Write In A Sympathy Card
When someone passes away, it can be one of the hardest things to talk about. Sometimes the fear of not saying the right thing can lead to saying nothing at all. Whether you phrase it perfectly or make a slip, there’s nothing they’ll appreciate more than your being there.
Whether you’re attending a funeral, sitting a shiva, or posting a message to a friend an ocean away, a thoughtful condolence message reminds someone they’re not alone. You can also reassure them that they have a steady stream of family, friends, and colleagues to lean on.
It can be as simple as acknowledging they’re going through a difficult time or being available for a chat – reminding them you’re only a phone call away. Or perhaps, go out for a walk together or be there when they need to cry into a takeout container of chow mein. There’s no one way to grieve, but as the indomitable Sheryl Sandberg once said, “Just Show Up” your presence will mean everything to them.
Short Sympathy Messages
- Our thoughts are with you and your family during this difficult time...
- There’s no words to describe how much Stuart meant to us and we are so sorry for your loss.
- We are thinking about you and the family and are sending our deepest sympathy.
- Whether it’s day or night, we’re here for you no matter what during this challenging time.
- She was so very loved and we will miss her everyday, but we are so grateful for the wonderful memories.
- Live your life to make them proud.
- It’s okay, not to be okay.
- Hold onto the love and the beautiful memories...
- Though there’s no words to ease your loss, know that you and your family are in my thoughts.
- I feel truly blessed to have known your brother, he was such an exceptional man.
- So lost for words… just know we love you.
- She/he is forever remembered...
- Well, $h!t… we’re sending you so much love.
- A hug is never too far away...
Sympathy Quotes and Sayings
- “Perhaps they are not stars. But, rather openings in heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know that they are happy.” - Eskimo Proverb
- “If there ever comes a day where we can’t be together, keep me in your heart. I’ll stay there forever.” - Winnie The Pooh
- “How lucky am I to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard?” - Winnie The Pooh
- “His/her life was a blessing, their memory a treasure. He/she is loved beyond words and missed beyond measure.” - Unknown
- “There are no goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart.” - Gandhi
- “Like a bird singing in the rain, let grateful memories survive in time of sorrow” – Robert Louis Stevenson
- “Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.” - Victor Hugo
Heartfelt Sympathy Messages
- Dear Emma, I am dearly sorry for your loss. I know there’s nothing to say to make the pain go away, but I hope you find comfort in that your Dad was the funniest person in the whole wide world. He brought so much joy to everyone he encountered and truly lit up the room anytime he walked in. I see that same radiance in you and know he would be so proud of the person you’ve become. We’re here for you whenever you need a good meal, want to cry, or any moment in between. Lots of love, Jen
- Dear Simon, My thoughts are with you and your family during this difficult time. I'm so sorry for your loss and wanted to let you know that I'm here for anything you need. No request is too large or small. Sending you warm wishes and a big, comforting hug. Mariel
- Dear Friend, I know words won’t heal your pain, but I hope the love of God will serve you as a comfort in these difficult moments. I hope he gives you the strength you need so much during this time. I want you to know that you have my support and you can count on me today and always. I love you, Stephanie
- Brenda, I’m so sorry for your loss. I was incredibly sad to hear about Len’s passing. He was a truly wonderful man and much like a father to me. I hope you take comfort how you did everything you could for him. We are all truly blessed to have had him in our lives for as long as we did and we have so many amazing memories to look back on. If there is anything we can do to help during this sad and difficult please don’t hesitate to let us know. Lots of love, Becky
Pet Sympathy Messages
- We’re sorry to hear of the loss of your furry best friend.
- What a fuzz bull and fabulous companion… we’re so sorry to hear about the loss of Gus Gus.
- We know you loved him more than any of us. We’re very sorry about your loss.
- There’s a special spot in doggie heaven just for Baxter.
- There’s a special spot in kitty heaven just for Professor Mittens.
- We’re sorry for the loss of your best friend.
- We agree, Rufus was pawsitively perfect perfect in every way.
- The love between you and Milo will last forever.
- While I can’t replace the cuddles of Captain Puss, know I’m here for hugs anytime. And… if you’re lucky maybe I’ll even give you a quick lick on the cheek.
- Bali will forever leave little pawprints on your heart.
What To Write On Funeral Flowers
- I love you always and forever.
- I love you till infinity.
- Rest in peace my love.
- Forever in my heart and soul.
- We are thinking of you today and always.
- You will always be in my heart and I will always cherish our memories together.
- We will miss how you always lit up a room, but now you’re a shimmering star in the sky.
- No one can replace your quirky dance moves and I hope you’re twirling it up in the heavens.
- I am a better person because of your love. I love you more than words can convey.
- I love you more than all the stars in the sky and will miss you with all my heart.